Goodness. 4 weeks out from the series on Family Matters. Kind of getting foggy, right?
Here are some things to remember: “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. (Ephesians 5:25-28 ESV) So, given the Scripture, what are things we can do? Here are some of my intentional practices:
1. Look for and recognize evidences of God’s Grace in your wife’s life…and speak of it. Tell her what you see and how impressed in the work of God in her life. And be truly impressed and grateful.
2. Tell your wife how grateful you are to God that He would choose to gift you with your wife. Scripture says “He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the LORD.” (Proverbs 18:22 ESV)
3. Be patient. Practice patience. While you are at it, start adding the characteristics of Galatians 5 (the Fruit of the Spirit) as a disciplined plan.
4. Pray and practice study as a discipline. Demonstrate that you understand the Word of God and can handle it in a mature manner.
5. Tell your wife you love her often….and mean it. God has given you a wife as your primary responsibility. How you conduct yourself with your wife is more telling about your walk with God than anything else.